Monday, June 21, 2010

Time Marches On

It was unrealistic to think I could run the greenhouse/nursery business, participate in two farmers' markets and maintain a blog. Finally we have moved almost all the annuals into the "big greenhouse" and we are already transplanting mums.



We still have quite a few baskets, mostly new guinea impatiens because they were slow to size up this season.



Speaking of New Guinea impatiens (some people call these New Zealand impatiens) ((??)) here's one with a variegated leaf - the 'paradise' series.



Vermonters tend to like New Guinea impatiens because they are flashy and bright, and our summers are so short we need splashy colors. One thing that is fascinating about New Guineas - when they are not watered they shrivel up and look like total goners. I found these two eight inch baskets in another greenhouse where they had been forgotten and were bone dry.

I knew they could be saved, so I took a before photo - here -



And then I drenched them and four hours later, here they are!




The gazania enjoys the sunny weather we are having right now.



I am eating fresh veggies from vendors at my farmers' markets and loving it.



Here's a cute little boy enjoying an early tomato.



The Danville Farmers' Market is held Wednesdays from 9 am - 1 pm and the St. Johnsbury Market is held Saturday from 9 am - 1 pm.

No comments: