Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sunflowers for Bouquets

I’m a great fan of sunflowers (Helianthus annus) and my favorites have the smaller blooms that are easy to use in bouquets. Johnny’s Seeds in Maine is one good place to find a great selection. Or you can swing by Amanda’s Greenhouse to get the plants!

I’m planting several new varieties this year. 'Procut Gold' appeals to me because it is early (50-60 days), pollenless, and has a relatively small bloom (3 - 4").



PROCUT GOLD SUNFLOWER
(Photo from Harris Seed catalogue)


I'm sold on the photos of 'Starburst Lemon Aura.' It is a double, kind of fluffy looking sunflower. It is on the large size for my tastes, 8", but it is pollen free and I love its appearance. We shall see.



STARBURST LEMON AURA
(Photo from Vermont Bean Seed Company)


Johnny’s Seeds describe 'Peach Passion' as a “fantastic branching variety with high yields ... ideal for arrangements.” It is a pollenless semi-double bloom - 4” across.


PEACH PASSION
(Photo from Harris Seed Catalogue)


'Florenza' has a 5" bi-color burgundy bloom with yellow tips. The "strong branching trait" appeals to me, as that should mean more flowers for bouquets.




Other sunflowers I like for bouquets include 'Moulin Rouge', 'Joker', 'Soraya', and 'Sonja.' Last year I had good luck with 'Autumn Beauty Mix'. I have no idea which varieties are included, but I got loads of cuts off a small planting and will try that mix again.


AUTUMN BEAUTY MIX
(Photo from Veseys Seed Catalogue)

No comments: